Saturday, June 6, 2009

Poetry of Rumi

At the library I browsed through a volume of the ecstatic Persian poetry of Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi (1207-1273). Rumi's love poetry is generally too windy for my taste, but I enjoyed his poems that expressed a quiet, reflective spirit. Here are two.

For years, copying other people, I tried to know myself.
From within, I couldn't decide what to do.
Unable to see, I heard my name being called.
Then I walked outside.

The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.
- Don't go back to sleep.
You must ask for what you really want.
- Don't go back to sleep.
People are going back and forth across the doorsill where the two worlds touch.
The door is round and open.
- Don't go back to sleep.

-----

Come to the orchard in Spring.
There is light and wine and sweethearts in the pomegranate flowers.

If you do not come, these do not matter.
If you do come, these do not matter.