Saturday, June 13, 2009

My untended garden


My flower garden has columbines and irises. Both are perennials that thrive without any help from me.

The columbines are just appearing. The blue iris blossoms have almost all wilted away. I will miss smelling their grape Kool-Aid perfume every morning before leaving for work. (I'm trusting an ancient olfactory memory of Kool-Aid here. I haven't had a sip of grape Kool-Aid in twenty years.)

In the interest of blog accuracy, I turned to the dictionary to confirm the spelling of "irises." Between the entries spanning Iranian and irrelievable, I happened upon a 2-dollar bill that I had tucked between the dictionary pages long ago. You may wonder which presidential likeness is found on the 2-dollar bill. The answer is Jefferson. The other side of the bill shows the Continental Congress and commemorates the signing of the Declaration of Independence.