Monday, August 31, 2009

And then there was one

My older son is getting married on Saturday. He is eager to make this great change in his life. My younger son might not realize it but he too will face a change: after Saturday my younger son will be known as the unmarried one, the one lacking a wife.

It is discouraging to be defined by one's deficiencies and described by "un" words. For instance, if I look at the words beginning with "una", I see that my New World Dictionary lists twelve clearly negative words: unable, unaccomplished, unadventurous, unadvised, unambitious, unAmerican, unappealing, unappetizing, unappreciative, unapt, unattractive, and unaware. (To avoid clouding the issue, I do not include the possible disparaging use of the word "unau", the two-toed sloth of South America.) The dictionary only lists three clearly positive words: unaffected, unafraid, and unassuming.

I hope my younger son faces his new status unafraid. (Not to meddle, but if Heaven should some day present him with a nice girl, there's no point in being unappreciative.)