Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sneaking a peek at the lake


While taking a long Sunday walk, I saw a small lake on the other side of the street and went over to take a look. I found an official-looking sign on a brass pedestal that stated in bold print that the lake was for the exclusive use of the HighSnoot Condominium Association. The sign expatiated in smaller print: no pets allowed; no fishing allowed; no swimming or wading allowed; no approaching within ten feet of the water's edge; violators will be prosecuted.

I did not care for the sign's tone. Its arrogance put me in a flouting mood.

I sat down on a rock near the shoreline and rebelliously gazed at the water. Large rocks were visible in the shallows. Clearly, wading and swimming were out of the question. I saw no fish. I concluded that the lake's only use was scenic. It was simply a pretty thing to gaze upon. Therefore, the HighSnoot Condominium Association's exclusive use amounted to nothing more than exclusive gazing rights.

I continued flouting. I admired the white bridge over the spillway feeding the lake. I scrutinized the little whitewater rapids that cascaded down and spent itself in ripples across the surface of the water. I studied the reflection of sky and trees. I feasted my eyes on a family of ducks that were napping beneath a tree by the water's edge. Then, to complete my flouting, I snapped the photograph above. Now my blog readership can join me in a conspiracy to peek at the HighSnoot Condominium Association's private viewing lake.