Thursday, May 28, 2009

Enjoy it now

I met my sons' high school orchestra director and his wife at the local Whole Foods upscale grocery store. They greeted me with cheerful levity. After catching them up on both sons' current lives, I asked if the former orchestra director if he had any advice for my younger son as he was beginning his career as a musician.

He stopped smiling. "Enjoy it now," he said.

"While he's single," said his wife.

"While he has no responsibilities," he added somberly.

With this chilling note, the conversation suffered a decrescendo to pianissimo. I shook hands with them and wished them both a good day.

It seems to me that a career in the arts has its seasons. One needs to be watchful for the changing of the seasons and adjust one's career strategies accordingly.