Saturday, January 24, 2009

Middle Eastern ramble


I have received comments from my faithful readership (that is to say, both of them) that the blog has been deficient in pictures lately. I had supposed that the brilliance of the prose had diminished the need for decoration. Oh, well.

To punch up the picture ratio, this afternoon I took a 4-hour walk to the used book stores downtown and brought my digital camera along to record the scenery. Unfortunately, I took the wrong trail, got lost, and wasted most of the daylight hours. I even seem to have wandered into the Middle East for a time. I noticed some signs in Arabic and discovered that I was in Syria.

I continued walking and noticed a tower that looked vaguely Jordanian. First Syria, then Jordan. Could Israel be next?












Yes!