Saturday, October 17, 2009

Indian Summer


It is Indian summer and the trees are losing their leaves. (I couldn't think of a good metaphor to describe how rapidly and completely the trees are shedding their leaves. The image of Hollywood starlets dropping their clothes for casting directors might be fitting. But this metaphor would detract from the tone of the blog.) It took me some searching until I found a colorful tree to photograph. Only a few short trees in sheltered spots escaped the hard frost.

Today was a fine day for an urban nature walk. While I was out looking for a tree to photograph, I saw a blue jay fly between two tall trees. Any day I get to see a blue jay is automatically a good day. Later I saw a garter snake disappear beneath a bush. Even in the midst of pavement and rows of sterile townhouses, Nature breaks in.